I made it. I’m working up a longer post (or series of posts) to reflect on what I learned, but in the meantime I have some thoughts on why I am returning to Google:
1. Google books. I am sick of searching for a book title and getting Yahoo’s prominent links to Target’s bookstore. Amazon’s listings and Google books are way more useful for me (as a scholar), and these are right at the top of Google’s results.
2. Gmail. I never figured out how to move my reading of one list I am on hosted by googlegroups, so I have simply not read those messages for a month and now I am catching up. I only lurk on this list, so one month off was not a big loss.
3. YouTube/ Google video. I was cheating anyway (see below on Pato, Zidane, etc).
4. I haven’t yet switched back to Safari, and I am still using Opera (primarily) and Firefox. I have been using Safari for banking, taxes, and other websites that have code that seems to overwhelm Opera.
5. I haven’t yet used any maps but when I do it will be Google maps, which seems to be the least quirky/buggy and most useful. Or maybe just most familiar.
Tags: switching back